12.12.2008

The Best Gift

'The giving of gifts is not something man invented. God started the giving spree when he gave a gift beyond words, the unspeakable gift of His Son." ~ Robert Flatt

I did some more shopping this morning, then came home to go back through my lists, checking to see what more there is to do. Christmas is less than 2 weeks away and I'm starting to feel slightly stressed about getting it all done. In my mind, I was frustrated over what is still undone -- until I remembered what it's really all about.

It's not about finding the perfect present. In fact, it's not really about the presents at all. It's not about the lights, or the buying. It's about love. It's about sharing. It's about kindness and friendship. It's about Jesus, that baby in the manger, literally the greatest gift ever given.

My thoughts slowed me down. There's still a lot to do, but now I'm thinking of the poem by Christina Rosetti -- "What can I give Him? I give Him my heart." And that's what I can give my loved ones and friends. My heart. Sure, I will give them the gift I picked out, bought and paid for, but mostly what I want them to know is how much they are loved, and how important they are in my life.

Jesus was the perfect example. He was a teacher, a doer of loving deeds, and a friend. That's what I want to be to my loved ones.

And that's what I want them to receive this year, along with their gift. The knowledge of that love and the remembrance and gratitude for that miraculous birth and life, so long ago.

That's Christmas.

12 comments:

Natalie Scott said...

And you are VERY loved, too!

Thanks for the reminder ;)

Melissa said...

Thanks for the reminder! I also get stressed and have to sit down and REMEMBER.

Nat Lud said...

So very true. Our little primary kids sang a song that said those same things about giving our hearts. So sweet and such a grea reminder!

Carrie and Nathan said...

Well said! Merry Christmas.

Jennifer said...

Love it, love it, love it! I couldn't have said it better myself. Merry Christmas!

jenjamin said...

So true and SO good! Hope you are enjoying your holiday season.

Aryn said...

You do a great job of giving your heart... hard to do via the internet, but you pull it off :).

Unknown said...

i need to do some slowing down myself...too much going on! great reminder.

jaacs said...

I love that. That was a great reminder.

Did you see For Little Friends(?? sorry, it is late) in The Friend this month? We have read that almost every morning since we got it and I choke back tears each time.

That is so exciting you got some snow. Today, it was -12 and the windchill made it feel like -26. Can you believe that? Bleh! Good thing I'm going to be closer to your part of the world in a few days. WAY too cold. :)

Love you!

Grandma and Grandpa said...

Thanks for the great reminder. You will always be the ultimate teacher! Merry Christmas

tara said...

beautiful. WONDERFUL post jan.

merry christmas. may your home be filled with LOVE and JOY this year:)

Mia said...

You are so right, giving love is Christmas!