1.19.2009

Safety during Uncertainty

"Our values develop our character and our character creates our destiny. When we're out of touch with our values, we are blown about like autumn leaves, caught up in mindless routines . . . but when we affirm our guiding values, our lives are inspired by our deepest beliefs." ~Diane Dreher

These are scary times. I just read this on my Natalie's blog and I can't say it any better than she did. There are people out of work, there are people who are sick and there are people with problems that I can't even begin to understand. What is it I can and should do?

As I ponder that question, the answers that come are the same safe "Mormon answers" that I used to chide my seminary students about giving. I need to hang on to my beliefs, I need to read and study my scriptures, I need to be a loving wife, mom and grandma, and I need to be an example. I need to find ways to lift others and I need to love. These are my guiding values, my deepest beliefs.

I want to be the safe harbor for someone in need. I want to be the loving arms that someone rushes into. I want people to know that I love the gospel and the guidance and blessings it provides. I want my friends and family to feel sustained by the love I have for them. I want my Primary to hear and feel the strength of my testimony and my love.

These are the things I rely on in these uncertain times.

14 comments:

Ashley said...

it always comes back to the basics, simpliflying our lives, putting all trust in the Lord, and listening to the prophet and his leaders. thanks for this post.

Kristi said...

Great thoughts Jan! I love how you are thinking of others and their needs during these troubling times. I think you are a blessing to others!!

tara said...

thankyou jan. your thoughts have buoyed my spirits today. so many people are struggling right now. SO MANY loved ones.

thank you jan. i needed your sweet testimony today.

hoLLy said...

i am so grateful for the gospel too. i'm not sure how people weather storms so great without it. america is facing hard times, i know many people facing unemployment, many people very ill, deaths, etc. as well and my heart just aches for them. i know the Lord will bless those who endure and stay strong.

Unknown said...

that's a great quote! i need to remember that.

Christy Robertson said...

I love you Jan! You are my rock! :)

Hacking it up said...

wise words...and much needed! Thanks!

Cammie said...

Thank you Jan! Always coming through with some nice words of wisdom!!

Mia said...

Man the tow of you just know how to say things. I agree that without those guiding principals in our lives we just get blown by the world around us. Live those principals and we will have the strength be there for someone when they need us or be able to rely in them when we need them.

jenjamin said...

Love all your last posts. I have been behind. Love the quotes.

Aryn said...

You're very good at doing all of those things... it comes naturally to you, I think (me, not so much... need to work on it!).

Phogles said...

is it too trite to just say "ditto"? Sometimes I hear people say, "all we can do is pray", when in fact, praying is the first, the last and the best thing we should do. Wise words from a wise auntie. *grins*

Natalie Scott said...

Your primary kids for sure feel and know your testimony. You're so good at sharing it with them and it makes SUCH a difference for them. I can see it on their faces!

Unknown said...

Softly yet sweetly spoken...I dare not expect anything less from you. Thanks for sharing. I have a friend that is facing some distressing news. You may even know her mom, Linda Sutton. Her daughter is putting her trust in the Lord, but oh, what a challenge she must face.