1.24.2008

Helping Others is Good for You

"When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself." [Anonymous]

Helping others really does help you too. It's healthy to forget yourself and spend your energy and efforts on others. The added bonus is that you too are rewarded and blessed. I think people who help others experience pure joy - -maybe you could call it a 'helper's high'. I think that high is followed by increased feelings of self-worth and peace as well.

Look for opportunities to help without expecting anything in return -- it will come back to you in ways you will never anticipate.

[picture via flickr]

14 comments:

Emily John said...

It makes you feel good to help someone and to do without a reward. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

hoLLy said...

so true. anytime i'm able to help someone in need, i do feel such joy.

Unknown said...

so good! and it's always more fun to go on your journey with someone else along for the ride...

tara said...

"helpers high", I love phrase. lovely jan:)

Jill said...

Great thought for today. It's a little overwhelming to think about finding time and energy to help somebody else, but as soon as you're done, you feel better than ever!

Jori said...

Thanks for the reminder. I am always wanting to help but sometimes I don't notice what is going on around me. Love your quote too!

Christina said...

Great reminder. I need to open my eyes/heart to see who I can help around me.

Natalie Scott said...

Here! Here!

I believe this with all my heart...it is the BEST way to gain self-esteem and realize your self-worth.

Hayley said...

thanks jan. that last paragraph really hit home to me. i think that's so important!

Kristi said...

You are right on, woman!! Thanks for the encouragement. :)

Nat Lud said...

that is something I always try to think about everyday. It makes life so much happier when I am focused on someone else. :)

everything pink! said...

great reminder!

Hacking it up said...

I love to help people...especially when I get to help decorate their houses! I know it makes ME feel good! :) It's always like that when you get to spend someone else's money! :)

You always have the best thoughts! Thanks for sharing!

Melissa said...

Love this thought...it is so true!