1.13.2008

Let Go

There's a great article in the new LDS Living magazine that arrived yesterday entitled "Let Go." The author, Carolyn Rasmus discusses letting go of not only physical things (i.e., de-cluttering) but linked it to emotional and spiritual things as well. It's a great article and I recommend it.

She included a list of ways to get started:

1. Think of one thing you could let go of. I like to start in the smallest room first - the bathroom. Do you have a hair product that's just sitting on the shelf? If you don't like it and never use it, let go!

2. Are you like me with the catalogs? If so, take a deep breath and let go. You can eliminate more clutter by donating old paperbacks and textbooks to the local library.

3. Clean out your car. Most of us spend a considerable amount of time in our vehidcles, so why not make it a clutter-free environment?

4. As you sort through clutter, ask yourself the following questions: Do I love it? Do I need it? Does it enhance my life? If the answer is no to any of these questions, give the item to someone else or throw it away!

5. Are you carrying resentment, envy, pride, remorse or other ill feelings? Pray for help to know how to eliminate these feelings and move forward.

I think this is my favorite quote of all:

"I know from my own experience that sometimes the things we most need to let go of, we hold onto the tightest. Often, we need Christ’s wisdom and strength to help us identify those things we need to let go of and to teach us the things that are of such worth that we need to hang onto them with all of our strength.

Each of us so desperately needs that healing that comes from letting go of sins, offenses, resentments, and anger; sometimes we need to forgive ourselves. Of those things that would canker and fester your soul—let go. Of the true doctrine that can change our attitudes and behaviors—hold on with all your might!"

Great thoughts to ponder -- happy Sunday!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

what great ideas! i need those suggestions!

Jori said...

Thank you so much Jan! I really needed this too.

Adam said...

I REALLY like that. I'll take that as permission to do it. I'm sure that Tib will read this comment, though, so I'll have to see what she thinks...

Kristi said...

Ok, Jan, I cannot even tell you how much I loved and/or needed to read this! What wonderful thoughts. I think I need to get this magazine asap :) I hope you have a great Sunday!

Emily John said...

Very good Sunday thought. I'm known for hanging on to things.

hoLLy said...

thanks so much for all of those ideas!

Christina said...

Great post, Jan. There are definitely things (clutter and otherwise) that I'm needing to let go of. Thanks for the tips! Inspired, as always, in what you share :)

tiburon said...

Super ideas! Fantastic!

Thanks for sharing :)

Rebecca said...

Great ideas. I love your insightful posts that get me moving in a better direction. Thanks!

Holly O. said...

I cleaned out my car and it makes a WORLD of difference!!!

Darleen said...

Ahhh...such wonderful ideas! It's nice to hear it coming from someone else that it's okay to let it go.

Christie said...

This was a great post. I can definitely apply this wisdom to my closets and my car.

tara said...

ahhh. I'm in a constant of decluttering. I can't stand it. I love the idea of "letting go" in ALL aspects of life. Thanks Jan.

Hacking it up said...

I just love LDS living--they always have such great articles in there! Thanks for sharing! I'm in the "let it go " mode now...It feels great to get rid of stuff!