9.17.2010

How to Stay Married


Mark and I have been married a long time (to be exact: 35 years and 9 months) and recently I was talking to someone about how people manage to stay together that long.

I have made no secret about the fact that when I was younger and was making the marriage decision, I wasn't especially careful, prayerful or smart. Yes, I was somewhat prayerful, but mostly, I was just head over heels in love. And that's how I chose Mark.

Fortunately for me, I was also lucky and probably a better descriptive word would be blessed. He is calm, funny, smart, loving, tolerant and patient (seriously, if you know me, that is a requirement) and best of all, he loves me. He is a great husband, a wonderful father and now a fabulous grandpa.

And I think this says it all. We do irritate the heck out of each other at times, but the love we share is stronger than the irritation. Romantic, huh?

He's a keeper!

18 comments:

Kristen said...

That Mark is a keeper!!...and so are YOU!! It takes 2 to make a great couple.

Jill said...

I love that comic! You always have the best stuff!

Unknown said...

I absolutely love that line! It's so completely true. You two are fabulous!

Grandma and Grandpa said...

I agree whole heartedly. I'm blessed,too.

Unknown said...

i like you both!

Emily said...

this made me smile! love it!!

Carrie and Nathan said...

I love this! This really struck a chord with me. I very much feel this way about my relationship w/ Nathan too. Love the comic.

Natalie Scott said...

So true! Mark is wonderful...we really need to be grateful for our good men. Especially nowadays!

Love you Jan!

Ashley said...

I hope to have that kind of irritation/love (but a ton more love) relationship one day!

BrookieT said...

Oh, so romantic! Thank you for the sage counsel...

Just Plain Tired said...

Now this was a sweet post. Nice to see a couple as happy as you with the years invested so far. Hope there are a lot more years in store for the two of you together.

Andi said...

You guys are the cutest couple ever! I love you guys!

Mel said...

Mark is definitely a keeper! It gives me hope of being as happy as you two are! :)

SweetmamaK said...

you are both my roll models- Thanks for being such great people to each other and everyone you come in contact with.

defining amy said...

you two are the cutest. love you!

Andrea said...

Thanks Jan! I love that you can see things as they really are and still love each other. THAT is true love!

Jori said...

You are a smart cookie and a wonderful example to me. :)

Doug Funny said...

Thank you for your honest admissions in this piece and for your recognition of the hand of Christ guiding your life anyway. I have made a very concerted effort to do what is right, even if it conflicts with what I would like to be right.

I am very very happy to hear that you are still married and happily so. It really is a team effort.

Hopefully some day a great woman will fall head over heels in love with me too.