10.29.2010

Beach Time




"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears or the sea." ~Isak Dinesen


We decided about a month ago that it was way past time for a trip to the beach, so we loaded up the cars and headed down to Port Aransas for a quick weekend visit. This time we rented a condo that didn't really have beach access - but was walking distance to the center of town and that worked great. Our theory was that when you take kids to the beach, you need a car anyhow, to haul all the things you need for a good time: towels, beach toys, umbrellas, drinks, snacks, etc. etc. etc. And it worked out very well.

Port Aransas is a great little beach town -- kind of quiet really but everything you might need is there. It was a wonderful (if a little too quick - we could have stayed for days and loved it) trip and once again, I came back feeling kind of filled up and relaxed.

Also with the feeling that I need a beach house. Seriously. I love that place and am ready to go back as soon as we can figure it out.

But this is what I really want to know: why is it that someone who was raised on the prairies of Southern Alberta and spent many years in mountainous areas so loves the beach? All I know is that there is something there that I need.

7 comments:

Marilee said...

I grew up around the ocean (high school) and I love the mountains now. Your mountains to be exact. Sometimes you enjoy what you are used to, but other times you learn to love new things. That's us I guess!

We are going as a family to Hawaii in December for our oldest son's graduation and I will being enjoying the ocean more that the mountains on that trip!

Jennifer said...

Amen. I love the beach as well. The beach is so relaxing. I keep telling myself that one day I will have a house at the beach. I'm glad you and your family were able to go enjoy family time together and have fun on the beach. Your grandkids are adorable!

Carrie and Nathan said...

Hear, Hear. Nathan and I are determined to live out our elderly years on the beach. Hopefully sooner if we can afford too! We are WAY over due to go and are no where near a beach. I say if we can't afford to retire in beach style...maybe I'll settle for living close. Sure beats the alternative!

Jill said...

Looks like you guys had a great time! You do still like the mountains, though, right? :)

Natalie Scott said...

You know I'm with you...grew up in the mountains (still like them) but LOVE and prefer the beach. Wish it was closer.

Glad you had so much fun!

Ashley said...

I could use more beach time as well. Glad you got to go! And I love that quote!

Maren said...

I haven't commented for a while, but I read each post Jan! I LOVE that salt water quote! It really speaks to me and the Hawaiian gal in me! :)