9.17.2008

Goodbyes

"Don't be dismayed at good-byes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends." ~Richard Bach

Yesterday, in the late afternoon I sat down on the couch for my usual 'Jeopardy' fix [here, they show an old episode at 4 and then the newest at 4:30]. Of course, I dozed off and awoke just about 2 minutes before Mark walked in the door [my early warning system is built in, I think!]. No dinner fixed and/or planned. Sigh.

He was tired and neither of us could figure out what we wanted to do for dinner, so we drove down to fill his car with gas and then examined our options. [our list pretty much always consists of two things: close and cheap]. We ended up at Wendy's -- Mark likes his Frosty!

As we walked in the door, the first person we saw was a friend from our ward having a quick dinner with her little boy so we chatted with her for a minute. As we did, someone threw their arms around me from behind, and I realized it was Lauren, the daughter of a good friend from our ward and one of our sweetest Primary kids. Mariann was my Primary secretary till very recently and has now sold her house and is leaving for Arizona tomorrow. She had been on my mind and I had made a mental note to call her today.

We ended up having dinner side-by-side and I came away so grateful that I had had the chance to sit and talk with them. They have Primary and nursery aged kids that I love, and both parents have been wonderful Primary workers. I love them all and they will be so missed. As Mark and I drove home, we talked about how perfect the timing was, and now grateful we were that we had the chance to sit and visit in person, give everyone hugs and send them on their way with our love. Another tender mercy, I think. A phone conversation wouldn't have felt that good -- and knowing my phone skills [non-existent], I do wonder if I'd ever have made the call.

I've been sad ever since we parted last night -- but the above quote puts it all into perspective, as does the scripture in D & C 130:2 , which reminded me that we will be with our friends again, and it will be better than ever before.

Thank goodness. We love Brad, Mariann and their family and while we are happy for them that they are moving 2 doors down from Brad's parents [lucky Grandma!], their absence will leave a big hole in our hearts.

13 comments:

Kristen said...

I love that you keep quoting Illusions - it's one of my favorite books ever.
What a fun surprise to have an unexpected chance to say a 'real' good-bye. The Goodfellows are awesome. They will be missed.

SweetmamaK said...

I hate good byes also, but I know we are never too far apart and can keep in touch, especially now, it's not so grave, ya know what I mean? Phone is cheap and e-mails and blogs are free!

Kristi said...

I am so sad to see them leave, too--their kids are adorable and they are such a good family. How great that you got to eat dinner with them!!

jenjamin said...

Seriously I love your quotes!

Natalie Scott said...

That IS a tender mercy! Mine was watching the twins today while Mariann and Brad packed up...I got to say one last goodbye and spend some time with those little boys one last time before they go away and get all grown up. I'm very sad to see them all go...Brad has been a stellar home teacher to us, and Mariann is a gem. Love that family.

That's a very comforting quote...puts things into perspective, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you ran into Mariann and her kids. I have to say it's no surprise it was at dinner. Oh how I miss eating out with you! I love Mariann and am so sad that she's leaving. She is one of the sweetest, most genuine, kind-hearted people I have ever met and I'm so glad we were able to work together. I love her family and am sad you have to say goodbye to her darling Primary kids. You've got to get her to start a blog so we can stay updated.

hoLLy said...

first of all, i LOVE the new header and background. it is so cute and so you!

i hate goodbyes too:( what a wonderful surprise to get to eat one last dinner with them.

Ashley said...

glad you had the chance to see them before they leave!

Aryn said...

I love the quotes (and the pictures) too. I need to do more of that. And I love the new blog design!

Melissa said...

What great timing- my brother and wife just moved to China for a year and I'm feeling a bit blue that they are going to be so far away. Thankfully we live in the age of e-mail and cheap phone calls! Good byes are hard.

Melissa said...

Great way to look at saying goodbye!! Plus, I love your new banner...so fun.

tiburon said...

Awww sorry about your goodbye. I hate that!

Great quote :)

G-mom said...

you are such a good friend. And Auntie!! I am glad I married Jarom so I can be sort of related to you!! Yay. you bless my life too.