9.18.2008

Blessings

“One of life's best coping mechanisms is to know the difference between an inconvenience and a problem. If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire, then you've got a problem. Everything else is an inconvenience. Life is inconvenient. Life is lumpy. A lump in the oatmeal, a lump in the throat and a lump in the breast are not the same kind of lump. One needs to learn the difference.”~Robert Fulghum

Today I'm wearing my 'blessed' necklace. I wear it regularly, to remind myself that I have been richly blessed. I have so much, but from time to time, I do my share of wondering 'why me?'. When that happens, I pull out my beautiful necklace and instantly can start counting my blessings.

To learn the difference between an inconvenience and a problem is something we all need to do. Myself included.

Picture via flickr

13 comments:

Mia said...

I had some inconveniences this week... my car needing some work, temper tantrums, losing a show on my dvr. And in the midst of it all it seemed more like a problem. I was more upset by these things than I should have been until I stepped back and looked at all the blessings that came this week too. It helped me put it back in perspective. Love the quote.

hoLLy said...

thanks for the quote-really puts things into perspective doesn't it? i love that necklace of yours, it is important to remember how blessed we truly are!

SweetmamaK said...

Thanks for this post! I needed to read it- I've just been inconvenienced!

Anonymous said...

Seriously, where you do find your quotes? And how do you have time to do so much reading? This has to be one of my favorites! Thanks for the great reminder.

Marilee said...

"Holy Cow"!!! That is what Michelle said after her first bite of the mug cake. It is delicious. Thanks for the recipe. I think this would be a fun YW class activity sometime. It was easy and fast!!!!YUM YUM I hope she saves me another bite!

tiburon said...

Love it. So many blessings - and so much easier to focus on them!

Ashley said...

love, love, love that quote! thanks for sharing!

Chris and Tara Mason said...

Good reminder! I like your new banner!

Kristi said...

What a great and smart quote!!! I love it. And man did I need to hear that. Sometimes I need to get over myself :)

Anonymous said...

Love the quote. I still don't know how you find these!

MCMULLIN FAMILY said...

Your posts uplift me or make me chuckle every time. I spent Friday night scrolling down your entire site. Loved it and wrote down many great quotes and golden nuggets. You are so talented. Where do you get your funny cartoons? I really want to subscribe. I especially loved the Monday one back in April and want to use it. E-mail me at mcmullinfun@aol.com if you can and let me know how to be as cool as you and where you find your cartoons and pics.

Unknown said...

love that quote! so true. i'm always reminding myself of that.

jenjamin said...

I love quotes that put you in your place. One of my pit peeves is people who are wet blankets and make BIG deals out of little deal. I guess I have had a lot to "deal with" in my short life so a lump in my oatmeal seems meaningless in the grand scheme of things and certainly has a very different meaning to me than a lump in my breast... hope and pray I never find one. It is a great reminder to us all to keep things in perspective! Thanks for the thoughtful moment!