9.29.2008

What Really Matters

"It is difficult to know what counts in the world. Most of us count credits, honors, dollars. But at the bulging center of mid-life, I am beginning to see that the things that really matter take place not in the boardrooms, but in the kitchens of the world." ~ Gary Allen Sledge

Oh, how I love this quote. For as long as I can remember, my only desire and goal was to be a mom. I love all my other roles in life, to be sure, but the bottom line is and has always been the gift of mom-hood and home life. Without question, my most important [and most rewarding] role is the one that plays out in the home. It always has been, and it always will be.

12 comments:

Ashley said...

beautiful post! i can't wait to be a mother one day.

Mia said...

Lovely Jan! I too cherish motherhood. Some days I get frustrated that I am not better or more appreciative of this roll, but I am so glad for the opportunity to try harder and be better. Cheers to all the mothers.

Unknown said...

unfortunately, not much takes place in the kitchen at my house! :) but i do love being a mama!

Anonymous said...

Very lovely quote. Motherhood isn't easy but it's way worth it!

Natalie Scott said...

Amen Sista!

SweetmamaK said...

This is a great quote- once when I was in the throws of young motherhood and was very discouraged, Elder Maxwell gave a talk in conference and this quote totally energized me, I have it on my fridge and have committed it to memory- He said, "When the real history of mankind is fully disclosed will it feature the echoes of unfire or the shaping sounds of lullabies? The great armistices made by military men or the peacemaking of women in homes and neighborhoods? Willwaht happened in cradeles and kitchens prove to be more controlling that what happened in congresses?" It always gives me chills when I think of the power of a good mom! Thanks for your uplifting post- as always you rock!

SweetmamaK said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maren said...

I love your posts. They always seem to remind me of what's really important. I hope I can be half the mom you are someday!

jenjamin said...

ditto that!

hoLLy said...

love the quote and love the willow tree collection. beautiful!

Marilee said...

Since having a home with a kitchen at the center we definitely enjoy each other's company a lot more.

By the way, Michelle made the cake in a mug today again. She loves it!

Cammie said...

Board rooms can't hold a candle to kitchens! Very nice.