9.25.2007

Enduring Life's Lemons

The hard chapters of our lives show God’s power in a way that the happy ones do not. Brokenness moves my story forward in a way that peaceful times do not. It’s in difficulties that I become desperate to really know God, to cry out to Him.

When everything is going well, we often can’t hear God, because the music all around us is turned up too loud. But when the party stops – in those moments of crashing pain, sorrow and sudden silence – we begin to hear His voice. I’ve learned that if I listen and lean on His strength, He can help me climb out of the wreckage. As I do, I have new perspectives about what is precious and what is truly important
.”
(Denise Jackson, from her book “It’s All About Him – Finding the Love of my Life”)

I'm not a huge Alan Jackson fan (the book is written by his wife, Denise) -- his name wasn't what attracted me to the book. But it's a good book - well written by a spiritual seeker which is what drew me to the book.

Life is about learning, and brokenness does teach more lessons than peace does. Her insight about learning to listen and lean on His strength is also a point we need to focus on. It's hard to look at the painful parts of our lives and be grateful but that's what she has learned.

As for me, I'm working on it. "Be still, and know that I am God . . ." (Psalm 46:10)

5 comments:

hoLLy said...

beautiful post!

Christina said...

Thanks, Jan. Great reminder, especially right now. I definitely agree- when life's the worst, we seem to know God the best. I think the trick is trying to nurture that relationship with Heavenly Father all the time, regardless of ups and downs.

Jori said...

Thanks Jan! Who knew Alan Jackson's wife could be so insightful? I really liked that quote a lot.

Unknown said...

such great thoughts, thanks!

Heather said...

So true, thanks Jan!