9.14.2007

Kindness

So today I had to run over to CVS to pick up prescriptions for both Mark and I (and I hate it when it happens this way -- they all run out at the same time and it's expensive! It doesn't hurt quite so much when you refill them a few at a time!) and I dreaded it. The pharmacy there has not been a fun experience in general -- they are slow, they ignore you while you stand there (I can understand being busy - just acknowledge my presence and I'll happily wait!), and then they're cranky when they finally get around to helping you.

Not so today! There was a new pharmacy tech who almost immediately saw me, told me she'd be right there, and then when she got to me, she smiled. Amazing. She was so friendly and so nice that it really surprised me. Which is sad, really. We shouldn't be surprised when people are nice to us!!

It reminded me of a quote I read that doesn't address this specifically, but you'll see the connection, I'm sure.

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.” (Robert Brault)

There was no truth-bending involved, but what a treat to run into someone who was sure of what was kind. She really made my day, with very little effort. I need to keep kindness in mind -- and I will!

7 comments:

Girl said...

I'm glad you had a little ray of sunshine during your pharmacy visit

Mel said...

Yay that you had a nice lady at the pharmacy, that always helps so much.

tiburon said...

I always find it odd when people are nice to me - it is so rare! Glad you had that treat in your day :)

tara said...

little acts of kindess sometimes have the BIGGEST impact. Good story of the day Jan:)

Kristi said...

I love when people are kind for kindness' sake--shouldn't that be more the rule, than the exception? :)

Holly O. said...

You are so right. Sometimes I am thrown off guard when someone is smiley and seems to be happy with his/her job. Glad you got a nice one today!

hoLLy said...

a little kindness goes a long way. i always appreciate people that do their job with a smile. it makes me smile too! too bad its rare.