9.27.2007

Self-Discipline

"I like to swim, but there are some days I just don't feel much like doing it -- but I do it anyway! I know it's good for me and I promised myself I'd do it every day, and I like to keep my promises. That's one of my disciplines. And it's a good feeling after you've tried and done something well. Inside you think, 'I've kept at this and I've really learned it -- not by magic, but by my own work.' " (Fred Rogers)

I love this quote. It took me to the definition of self-discipline, which refers to the training that one gives one's self to accomplish a certain task or to adopt a particular pattern of behaviour, even though one would really rather be doing something else.

Do I have it? Maybe. Sometimes. Sometimes I hang in there, wade through stuff and keep on going, and other times, I just don't. When I do, I love having the feeling that I have really earned something -- whether it's a skill, or the sweat that pours off me after a workout and the physical fitness that is the result, a hard-won relationship, or even the satisfaction I have when I know I have actually finished something. I remember when I participated in my first 5K walk/run -- it wasn't really a race, but I got antsy plodding along with the pack so I left Mark walking (with his blessing!) and took off jogging. I ended up being one of the first finishers -- and it felt good. How fun it was to run through that finish line!

I realized then I like being a finisher and I like the learning and self-discipline that comes through finishing. I also realize that I need more work on it. Sigh.

8 comments:

Darleen said...

You are right--in some areas one has self-discipline, in other areas it is tougher. Training for the marathon has definitely pushed my self-discipline in that area. At the tail end of my long runs, sometimes I just want to quit. And then I think to myself--that's crazy, don't quit you only have a few miles. And then I have to do a lot of positive self-motivation to mentally get my mind back on track and endure to the end. I know that there are many other areas that I need to use positive motivation to increase my discipline. Good job on being one of the first finishers!

hoLLy said...

wow, i've never done a run/walk thing before. maybe because i'm too lazy. or maybe because my legs don't go very fast. or maybe because i'm lazy, yeah, thats it.

no, really, thats awesome that you were one of the first ones to finish. and you are so right, it is such a good feeling to set goals and accomplish them. its hard to stick with something sometimes when it gets tough, but its so worth it!

Jori said...

I am usually a quitter. I have finished a few hard things in my life, and you are right there is nothing like it. Good motivating thoughts.

Unknown said...

i'm totally not self disciplined or a "finisher", i've totally got to work on this. thanks for the inspiration.

Christina said...

I've got a ways to go in this department. I have unfinished things all over my house :) My goal this weekend is to finish some things! Maybe I'll start with the laundry...oh wait, that isn't ever finished, is it?

Natalie Scott said...

Ah man, self-discipline is SO important, and feels SO good, but is SUCH a lifetime pursuit. I am always working on it. Or at least trying to! Good quote, thanks Jan!

Cammie said...

Hurray for self dicipline! It's hard, but it's always worth it.

Wendy said...

that is some good inspiration! maybe next time i do a 5k (with my running buddy kristi) you can keep us running!!