10.08.2007

Ah, the Rocker!

So today Natalie and I took the kiddoes and drove through Sonic for lunch as we were both uninspired and the kids really love Sonic food so you can count on them eating well. The girl brought the order out and as she handed it to us, we discovered there had been a mistake made on a drink. She was very sweet -- said she'd take it back in and get the right drink back out.

As she was doing that, I started rummaging through my purse to see if I had a dollar I could give her (we paid via the fabulous Sonic 'pay-in-your-car' PIN pad) as a tip. What I discovered was that I only had a $10 bill and wasn't going to give her that. So I scrounged around some more and found I had plenty of quarters and could give her a dollar that way. I asked Natalie if she thought it would be dumb to give her the change. We giggled about it a little bit as we waited.
At that point, I had this most ridiculous memory pop into my head so I told Natalie that I could give her a tin of popcorn -- and we both burst into hysterical laughter that went on long enough that it eventually caused Maya to tell us to knock it off. (it makes her annoyed when she doesn't get the joke and there was no way she could get this one.).

Years ago, in December of 1996, we were still in Nashville, but packing to move to Reno immediately after Christmas. Natie and I were at a Cracker Barrel and I decided I wanted to buy Mark one of their signature rocking chairs as our memory of Tennessee. You can probably picture them - they are always all lined up on their big front porch, and you can sit in them and rock while you wait for dinner, or you can play a game of checkers -- well, you get the picture.

So we went inside, told someone I wanted to buy a rocking chair, paid for it and then realized we were driving a Nissan Sentra and didn't know how we'd get it home. There was a nice young guy working there as a clerk who came out with us and tried to jam it into that teeny little car to no avail (duh) and then offered to put it in his car and follow us home and drop it off. We thought that was the nicest thing ever, cleared it with his boss, and away we went. *(the above rocker is 'ready to assemble' -- ours was already assembled! If only!)

We took a roundabout route, trying to keep him off the busy roads, and I know at times he had to be wondering where the heck we were going. (it really wasn't that far but it sure seemed like it that night!) Eventually we made it home -- I'm even thinking it was snowing and icy (correct me if my memory is wrong, Nan!) and the poor guy hauled that heavy oak rocker out of his car/truck and into our living room. While he was doing that, it hit me that I should give him a tip for helping us -- and dug around in my purse (see, I am getting to the connection to the Sonic girl) to see what I had.

What I had was 3 lousy dollars. Yes. Three dollars. Which was really almost insulting. So I hurriedly looked around to see what the heck else I could give him and my eyes lit on a --- huge Christmas tin of popcorn!

So after he finished hauling that dang rocker into the house, I thanked him, (with Natalie having hysterics over in the corner of the living room) and gave him three dollars and a tin of popcorn. Feeling really really lame. Which I was.

But it sure prompted a gale of laughter at Sonic today!

15 comments:

tara said...

you two shouldn't be allowed in public together. And hey, if that tin had the cramel variety he probably considered it time well spent:)
Great story. Glad you wrote it down.
Now I want a cranberry lime-ade:)

Hayley said...

tara wants caramel, i want the cheese kind. jan - you're so nice. i hate how they ask for tips at sonic. beat it! if i wanted to leave a tip, i'd go sit down somewhere dummy.

Emily John said...

Yay, Sonic! I love the popcorn tin story. What a tip! I actually am to cheap to tip the Sonic employees. ;)

Jan said...

I don't often tip Sonic employees either but this girl was really nice and had to make a trip back in to change out the drink, which she did without growling at me. So she got quarters - if only I had had a popcorn tin! hahahaha!

Kristi said...

That story is adorable, Jan! I think it's sweet of you to give him a tin of popcorn...and thoughtful, too...and delicious. I can just picture you two giggling at Sonic--how fun. I bet your waitress would have loved a tin of popcorn, too.

Unknown said...

that was seriously the funniest thing ever. i'm laughing again thinking about it. here's your popcorn!!! that poor guy.

Mel said...

That is such a funny story! Now we all understand the inside popcorn joke. Hehe. I love it! Glad you had a great time at Sonic today.

Christina said...

Your story made me laugh! It's so fun to have those great mother/daughter jokes. You are too cute to look for any old tip be it money or popcorn. I'll think of you next time I need to get creative in my tipping :)

Natalie Scott said...

Oh I can totally see the two of you trying your best not to laugh right out loud...Natalie holding her hand over her face or somethin! I'd pay money to have seen the guy's face. Great story! So funny :)

Melissa said...

How cute is that...at least he didn't go away empty handed! Who knows, maybe he had a hankering for some good popcorn that night.
You are so cute Jan!!!

hoLLy said...

that is a cute story. i bet he appreciated it, everyone loves popcorn! doesn't always have to be cash, does it? :) that was so nice of him to do that for you guys. i bet just like you tell the story from your point of view, he has told the story to other people...about those two crazy girls and the popcorn tin:)

tiburon said...

That is too funny. I HATE it when I don't have bills for a tip. I am the worst when I go to the carwash and then they have those guys that hand dry your car when you are done. I feel SO bad if I don't happen to have cash on me that day.
I think I will put a tin of popcorn in my car - for emergencies ;)

Wendy said...

that sounds funny! i bet you and natalie have some good laughs!!

Jori said...

That story just really perked up my morning. You guys are so cute. Really popcorn is a great tip, The car wash guys always get sticky quarters from my drink holder.;)

Jess T said...

So funny! :)People are so nice. I had a woman follow me home from Home Depot quite some time ago with a mirror I had purchased. It was also too large for my car. My mom and I were not thinking about that when we bought it. I didn't have a tip to give her when she dropped it off, but figured out where she lived based on conversation and sent her a small flower arrangement.

I hate the tip jars on counters in those places (i.e. Starbucks, Subway, etc.). Give me a break! Yet, I always feel pressured to put something in it. Why is that? It is as if somehow I'm being rude if I don't. Grr!