10.01.2007

Public Humiliations

In light of previous posts about embarrassing moments, this comic really struck me funny today. Natalie shared her humiliation when she told about losing her entire wrap-around skirt on the campus of the University of Utah in Salt Lake. I did not share my own public humiliation, however (but I will now!) about the time I passed out in church as I walked up the aisle to the piano, en route to accompany a family singing a special musical number.

Yup. I did. Fainted dead away and when I opened my eyes, I was sprawled out on a front row pew with people oohing and ahing over me. Eventually they dragged me out onto a couch in the lobby where I proceeded to throw up repeatedly into a trash can (thank goodness it wasn't the floor) and then the humiliation was complete when the ambulance arrived. Yes, the Bishopric had called 911.

So they wheeled me out on a stretcher into the ambulance. I finally convinced them that I probably had the flu, that I had had Kristi's fire-rhea and had also thrown up before I left home, and did not need a trip to the hospital. Mark drove me home, sweet as could be, despite my ongoing vomiting into a barf bag, so conveniently provided by the EMTs.

It was a bad case of the flu that kept me in bed for the better (or worst?!) part of a week. I was the Primary chorister at that point, and the current batch of kiddoes still remember the 'event' with great enthusiasm. We discussed it again this past Sunday. Some of them will never forget it, I'm sure. I take personal pride in the fact that it was probably a record-breaking sacrament meeting in excitement levels.
But I'm not ready to do it again, I don't think.

17 comments:

Kristi said...

Jan! I remember when this happened (even though I wasn't in the ward yet) because Wendy was soooo worried about you! She just wanted her friend to be healthy and ok! You poor thing--That sounded like it was one serious case of the flu--my least favorite kind! Especially when it involves fire-rhea!!! :)

Heather said...

That is the worst, the sick part I mean! I've been that sick only 2x's in my life and I know you just want to die. So sorry you passed out too...at church in front of everybody. I bet that the kids still remember that one!

Cammie said...

Awful, simply awful. I am so sorry. I passed out once and landed like a bowling ball on the tile, I can relate. It's not fun.

hoLLy said...

I remember that! I had only just met you once and I think it was stake conference? Am I right? When I heard who it was that had fainted, I was like, oh no! I know her! And was so worried about you and relieved when I found out you were okay.

Marilee said...

That story beats them all for embarrasment all right. My aunt fell over while giving a talk, ambulance came, took her away, they thought she was dead until she commented on a remark made from one of the EMT's. Her heart stopped due to a short or something odd like that. She is still with us, years later.

Jori said...

I feel bad you were so sick! That is some dedication to still go to church when you were ill. The slightest grumbling of my tummy and I would have called in sick. I am wimpy that way.

Christina said...

Oh, Jan. What a story! Being sick is bad enough, but having it cause public humiliation is worse by far. I hope you can look back and laugh- at least a little?

Jan said...

Holly -- thank goodness it wasn't Stake Conference! Just the ward being there was enough.

Christina -- oh, I laugh all the time about it now. Honestly, just to think about it cracks me up. I bet the bored teenagers loved it. ha!!

tiburon said...

That is horrible!! That doesn't sound embarrassing as much as miserable.

Val said...

I'm sorry - I'm the bad sister!!! I'm still giggling about that story! Not that you were sick...it's just such a funny visual - all that commmotion in church!

Jan said...

It was 2 years ago now -- and Tib is right -- at that point, I was so sick I didn't much care about the embarrassment. That came the next week. And my supportive sister is right - -it's pretty dang funny now. Especially if you pretend you were NOT the cause of all of it.

Mel said...

What an awful experience. How terrible. Being sick is a pain, but it's much worse to pass out at church. I'm so sorry.

Wendy said...

I'm sorry we missed this wonderful experience! Aren't kids the best? You'll never live it down with them!! I'd be honored if you linked me on your blog! Can I put your on mine to??? Such fun things to read!

Jan said...

Hey, Wendy -- add me to your list! I love reading your stuff. You make me smile!

Natalie Scott said...

I remember that Sunday so well. We were all so worried about you and I'll never forget Natalie's face when she jumped up. The kids were especially worried about "Sis. Mason" but good ol' Bro. Rich came into sharing time and talked them all through it.

Melissa said...

Well someone's gotta spice up sacrament mtg once in a while...sorry it was your sick tummy though!

Unknown said...

that was definitely an exciting one, wasn't it?! holy cow.