8.29.2007

Ah -- Lost Horizon!

Back in 1973, Hollywood remade the old Frank Capra movie "Lost Horizon" as a musical. I am dorky and cheesy enough to be willing to admit that I loved it. However, it was pretty much universally loathed by movie critics. Generally, audiences didn't like it much either. The music was written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David, but according to critics, the music didn't fit the ageless message of the movie, the story of Shangri-La. Critics agreed that the movie was too long, the characters were poorly cast, and that the music didn't work at all.


As you might imagine, it's hard to buy a copy of it as no one liked it and there are few copies available. (side note: I want it!) I loved the music and I loved the messages of many of the songs. There is one song entitled "Reflections" that was sung by Sally Kellerman (didn't know she sang, did you? Well, she's not much of a singer but it worked for that role) that had a very catchy tune and great words. I have the CD and I still think it has a great message.

"When you look at yourself, do you like what you see?
If you like what you see, you're the person you should be.
For your reflection reflects in everything you do,
And everything you do reflects on you.

When you wake up each day, do you like how you feel?
If you like how you feel, you've got nothing to conceal.
For your reflection reflects in everything you do,
And everything you do reflects on you.

Doing something for someone else isn't really for someone else;
It does twice as much for you as something you do just for yourself.

When you lay down to sleep, do you like all your dreams?
If you like all your dreams, life's as happy as it seems.
For your reflection reflects in everything you do,
And everything you do reflects on you."

I love the comment on doing something for someone else -- it's so true that service does more for you than for the person you are serving. Even the smallest act of service that I do for someone else makes me far happier than I imagine it does them!

Great message, and another fun trip down Memory Lane. Sigh. Loved that one -- too bad I was a member of a very small minority!

2 comments:

Jori said...

I wonder if the library has this. I will have to check it out. I love the lyrics. Very good thoughts.

Unknown said...

this is one of your faves! it's okay to be cheesy. we all are.