8.14.2007

A couple more thoughts on aging

A couple of days ago, Natalie and I were out shopping (what else, right?) at Penney's. She took a few things into the dressing room to try on and I was trying to keep the kiddoes happy. There was someone else in the dressing room as well -- a large, older (older than me!) woman. What was fun was that she had someone with her -- her mom -- who told me that she was 80 and her daughter was 60. They were both adorable -- the mom had a walker that she had turned around and sat on it while she waited for her daughter, who would periodically pop out of her dressing room to show her mom the clothes and get her opinion on them. It was such fun to watch them and chat a little with them.


Made me think ahead to when I'm the old (OLD!) mom and Natalie is still shopping with me and we are still checking out each other's clothing picks. The encounter really brought a smile to both of us and made me realize that this quote by Emily Dickinson (via my Natalie) is true: "We turn not older with years but newer every day." I guess Maya knows what she's talking about, right?

Martin Buxbaum said something prof0und on that same topic: "Some people, no matter how old they get, never lose their beauty. They merely move it from their faces into their hearts."

For me, it would be nice to keep a little in both places -- but my heart could use the extra beauty for sure. Something to look forward to!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

maya is ahead of her time...and a future emily dickinson! i loved that quote.

Darleen said...

That's so great that you have that relationship with Natalie (and of course live so close to her). It's almost as though you two are sisters.

Mel said...

what a sweet story. it makes me think of my mom and our shopping experiences, we both have similar taste. so much fun! glad you had fun with natalie.

Kristi said...

Awww, I love that those two were shopping together--at 80? That's what I'm talking about! That's how I hope me & my mom are, and me & my kids are! You guys really do have such a wonderful relationship! Plus, you're both so stinkin cute.

Rebecca said...

I can totally see you guys in that scenario :) So wonderful!

Anonymous said...

You and Nattie are GORGEOUS!

Nat Lud said...

You two are just so cute. What a special relationship you have. I have always admired that about you guys. And you are beautiful on your face and in your heart!

hoLLy said...

it is neat for you guys to have such a close relationship and have so much fun together. i agree with darleen-it seems like you are sisters!