8.30.2007

Home

A little girl, asked where her home was, replied, "Where mother is." (Keith L Brooks)

What a sweet statement on the importance of mom in the family. Home is wherever mom is.

I remember hearing Neal A. Maxwell say something along the lines of "Good homes are still the best source of good humans." So good humans are to be found in good homes -- which is wherever mom is.

Elder Gene R. Cook told the story of a fire that completely destroyed a family's home. Soon after, a neighbor came over to console their seven-year-old but was taught a great lesson himself. "Johnny, it's sure too bad that your home burned down." Johnny's reply? "Oh, that was not our home. That was just our house. We still have our home, we just don't have a place to put it right now."

Home. That's what it's all about. Wherever it is.

10 comments:

Jori said...

Great thoughts, and I am definitely copying them :)

Unknown said...

well, this homebody definitly liked those thoughts! :)

Anonymous said...

I needed to be reminded of this...it's been one of those days I haven't been the best mom, and need to remember to see things from my sweet children's perspective. Thanks Jan!

Maren said...

As much as I don't like calling Utah home, it is where my mom is, and for that purpose, I feel a special tie there. Home is where the Mom is.

tara said...

wow. I loved your thoughts today Jan. You are an amazingly sweet mother and grandmother. I'm so glad I crashed your blog today...I just might have to make a habbit of it. Thanks for your comments on mine. I've ALWAYS enjoyed your input on everybody elses. You're one cool lady:)

Heather said...

I like the line "good homes are still the best source of good humans". So true!!

Kristi said...

Our lesson in Sunbeams was about Home being where our family is, and I am so grateful for these thoughts because it is important to rememeber that! Thanks for the upliftment!!

Nat Lud said...

This is such a sweet thought. I hope my children feel this way after all is said and done! That would be the ultimate compliment!

Hayley said...

i love my house... its home. but so is my parent's & so is my sisters' houses. and so is hawaii...

Jamie Harker said...

Jan, I love your blog. You always have great thoughts. Thanks!