8.24.2007

My Nicest Blessings

I am reading the book "Saving Graces" by Elizabeth Edwards (former political candidate John Edwards' wife) and have learned a lot from it. Her family has experienced and continues to experience huge trials. She has a lot to say about how she has found solace and strength in both friends and strangers. One of her best insights, I think, is her comment on community: "We didn't have to be the same; we just had to recognize what a great blessing we could be to one another."

I loved that. There are so many people that I don't have a lot in common with but have learned to love and enjoy in my life. What I know now is that we need each other and we need to understand what a blessing we can be to each other.
I like the way Peter DeVries says it as well: "Our business in life is not to see through one another, it is to see one another through."

There are a few really special people in my cranky life that make such a difference to me. The email messages that come at exactly the right moment, the ongoing love and friendship, the quiet understanding, the non-judgemental acceptance of me as I am, the wonderful relationships we are either just starting or continuing -- these people continue to be such bright spots in my life, usually when I need their brightness most.

I think it was Elaine Cannon that said something like this (and I am paraphrasing here): "Sometimes it's not that you did something for someone, it's that you are something to someone that makes all the difference."

This is what I have in abundance -- people that really are something to me. I consider them to be my nicest blessings. Thanks, friends, for being something important to me.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

you are one of my nicest blessing, for sure! ;)

Jan said...

Ah Nan!! You are one of my nicest as well -- I'm sure you know you are on that list of people that love me despite myself!

Seth, Sarah and the kids said...

Jan you just have such a beautiful way with words. I am constantly in awe of you! I love you! Thank you so much for being 'that' person for me!

Jori said...

Gramtastic Goosebumps should be the name of this blog. I seriously get them every time I read your posts. You are so insightful and I really appreciate it!

Maren said...

Jan, the more I read your blog, the more I feel your spirit, and your love of the Gospel. You just ooze love! Love for everyone and everything. You're so thankful, and I really admire that, and hope to be that way every day of my life. (I think I've failed so far though! I'm still working on it.) Thank you for your post!

hoLLy said...

Love your post and love that picture too-it is one of my favorites. Probably because I have 3 precious little girls:) Friends are such wonderful blessings and I am so happy to have you as one of mine!

Fantastic Five said...

You are just the best, that is all I can say. I saw her on Oprah, that book looks awesome. You will have to let me know. She did go through some huge trials! Crazy.

Kristi said...

Love your inspirational thoughts, Jan. I know where to go to feel the spirit on Sundays :)

Heather said...

Another great post today Jan, thanks.