8.29.2007

What Would You Like to Hear?

Three friends died in a car accident and once they arrived in heaven, they were asked, "When you are in your casket and family and friends are mourning over you, what would you like to hear them say about you?" (side note: I really thought about this as I read this story!)

The first man says, "I would like to hear them say that I was a great doctor of my time and a great family man."

The second man says, "I would like to hear that I was a wonderful husband and school teacher who made a huge difference in our children of tomorrow."

The last man replies, "I would like to hear them say, 'Look! He's moving!' "
You may laugh at this (and I did -- I agree with the last guy completely!) -- but it did make me think. I am not ready to leave this life and move on. There are things I need to do, want to do, and need to perfect. So for me, the lesson is clear: Make the most of every minute. Savor the beauty around you. Live life to the fullest. Learn from every experience, good or bad, then move on and do better. Remember always that life is really just a homeward journey back to the presence of God.

Too often we put things off till tomorrow -- but the reality is that we may not have tomorrow. We don't know how many tomorrows we get. So hug that little one, tell someone you love them. Be an example. Live your testimony. The only thing you can be sure of is that you have this day. Don't waste it.

7 comments:

Jori said...

I am always living in the past or future. What a great reminder to embrace today and make the most of it.

Maren said...

Very good advice. I think some days we REALLY need to be reminded of this. Somedays its just harder to do than others. Very good advice though!

tiburon said...

Love that post Jan! Thanks for the reminder to enjoy TODAY :)

Unknown said...

that's a great story. i was waiting for a rabbi to walk into heaven.

tara said...

oh man, I DID laugh at that joke, but thanks for the serious stuff too. We can never have too many reminders to LIVE for TODAY. Thanks:)

Kristi said...

OK, that made me laugh really hard because I agree with number three!! :) Good advice--I've got things to think about...

hoLLy said...

things can change in an instant, so i agree it is so important to cherish the "now" and never let a day go by without telling those close to you that you love them. great post as always jan!