8.10.2007

Along those Same Lines . . .

I just looked at Natalie's blog this morning and interestingly enough, we have the same topic on our minds. Weird. I have the Mary Engelbreit daily tear-off calendar and on yesterday's date, there was a great quote about courage.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." (Ambrose Redmoon)

What a great perspective. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and be brave because something else matters more than your fear. For me, courage comes through knowing that I'm not on my own, that the Lord is aware of me and my situation. Isaiah puts it this way: "Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fail; but they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength . . . " (Isaiah 40:30-31)

Joshua knew something about courage too: "Only be thou strong and very courageous that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law . . . turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest. . . Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed; for the Lord they God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." (Joshua 1:7, 9)

I love the scriptures. They are full of examples just like these where it's clear that if we do what we are supposed to do, there is always the promise that the Lord will bless us. And He does, without fail.

4 comments:

Kristi said...

I love the scriptures and I love the story about Joshua. Great thoughts, Jan. I am more grateful for the scriptures than words could say...

Unknown said...

very nice. i love the scriptures, too. they are always the same, but because you are different every time you open them, they speak to you in different ways. it's very cool.

Cammie said...

Jan, thank you for the thought. Also, thank you for the nice comment you left on my blog yesterday.

hoLLy said...

courage is such an important quality to have. i need more of it!!!