8.19.2007

I Feel the Spirit

Today was my day in Primary to do Sharing Time and I spent the past week or so really pondering and praying over how to accomplish my goal, which was to teach the children how we feel the spirit -- and then create an atmosphere so that they could actually do that and know from experience what it felt like. I'd gone back and forth in my mind, gone through my list of ideas and had had a hard time nailing down exactly how I thought I could accomplish this.

I decided last night to take the simplest possible approach -- knowing that time would be short as it was Ward Conference today and that Sacrament meeting could run long (it did), and also that we'd have a member of the Stake Presidency giving a message which, while being really great for the kids (it was), would take more time. I also knew I'd have the entire Stake Primary Presidency sitting in the back, watching the action. So I really wanted them to see what a wonderful group of Primary kids we have. I had prayed a lot about it and like I said, decided to keep it simple.

Jr. Primary (which meets first) was pretty chaotic. For some reason the little ones were all stirred up and there was a lot of crying from kids who never do, lots of talking from kids who always do, and in general, a lot of unrest. This didn't give me any confidence in the idea I had settled on. Once we were through with opening exercises, talks, prayers, Stake Presidency message etc. we had the kids sing "Love is Spoken Here". I know that music always brings the spirit and it really did.

Things had been pretty noisy up to that point but as I spoke with the children and gave them instructions, it was like peace settled over all of us and every one of those little ones gathered around me on the floor for story time. It was so powerful to see them drinking in the message, listening to the story and feeling the spirit. It was so strong -- and I just knew it couldn't be repeated in Senior Primary.

But it was, even more strongly than in Jr Primary. I credit the spirit for the way it turned out -- and music. There is a little song that was published in the Friend some time ago called "I Feel the Spirit" that we used with both groups and it made all the difference.

I came away so fulfilled, so happy and so grateful that prayers are answered. It amazes me that Heavenly Father is aware of one Primary President, who He blessed so that her Sharing Time accomplished exactly what she wanted it to: to let the children feel an outpouring of the spirit. I don't think they will forget it. I know I won't.

9 comments:

Darleen said...

I love that you really pondered and prayed about your lesson, which I think is so important than preparing the day of Sunday (which I see so many teachers do). I think the spirit is stronger and lessons speak clearer to the children if the teacher is prepared and really knows how to direct the lesson. Glad to hear everything went well. Sidenote: Happy Birthday!!

Unknown said...

sounds like it was a really great meeting! you guys rock and always do it up right for the kiddies.

hoLLy said...

that sounded like a wonderful sharing time. those kids are so blessed to have you! i miss you being in primary. i'm happy that at least we were able to have you in our lives, even if it was for just a little while.

Jori said...

I agree with Darleen. It is SO important to pray and prepare before hand. I think it is great that you put so much time and effort into your calling. It sounds like it turned out great. Those kids are lucky to have you.

Fantastic Five said...

I liked the simplicity of your sharing time yesterday. You didn't have to do anything but be still and quiet and listen. It was very touching. And I was particulary glad that it was you doing it and not me. PERFECT. Steve had to actually leave the room and go get himself under control before he came back. He was bawling like a girl. I love that man.

Jan said...

Steve is awesome - I love him too! He needs to be in Primary with us forever!

Cammie said...

Thanks for sharing. I love to go into primary when Cali is giving a talk or prayer. The children are so sweet.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jan, sharing time was beautiful. I just had goose bumps the whole time and thought to myself how there is nowhere else I'd rather be than there with you wonderful leaders and the amazing kids. The spirit was strong, and that book was the sweetest.

Kristi said...

Sharing time was awesome!! You did such a great jobm as ususal, and what a wonderful idea to have all the kid's sit next to you for the story. They listened so quietly. And what a sweet book--I LOVED IT! I need that book asap!