8.16.2007

Shining Moments

Today I'm thinking about good stuff in my life. Last night, I spent most of the evening with friends who are very dear to me. For a while, I was feeling a little bit overwhelmed by all of it -- first that Natalie would take the time to organize a get-together, and then that people took time from their families to come and spend the evening with me.

I was so grateful to have that time with them, to stop our lives and spend some time visiting together. As I looked around that table, I considered that little slice of time we were suspended in to be a shining moment - - something very special and wonderful. One of those good friends knows I like uplifting thoughts and gave me a copy of "Widsom from the World of Mr. Rogers: Important things to Remember" and I love it already. He is full of great little zingers -- you know -- things that sort of push you toward an 'aha' moment. Here's his take on shining moments:

"In the external scheme of things, shining moments are as brief as the twinkling of an eye, yet such twinklings are what eternity is made of -- moments when we human beings can say 'I love you,' 'I'm proud of you,' 'I forgive you,' 'I'm grateful for you.' That's what eternity is made of: invisible, imperishable good stuff."

That's how I felt about looking around that table, loving each of those women, and enjoying the time we had together. That's the good stuff. It really is.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

that is a fabulous quote! goose bumpers - it's going right into my book. it was a fun night of cool girls, wasn't it? the best part was when we got there first and you were all "it will probably just be me and you, and that's totally fine." yeah right, lady. there were 12 people there. you're so silly.

Anonymous said...

I had such a great time with you last night. You are an amazing lady that has an amazing talent of helping people feel loved and wanted. Thanks for always being so kind to Kurt and I.

Anonymous said...

What a fun night it was! And we may be tardy at times, but never would miss an opportunity to celebrate our own JAN. Woman, you are just too wonderful. I can't remember what my life was without you and Nattie. :o)

hoLLy said...

glad you guys had so much fun together and a great turnout(which is no surprise!). wish i could have been there to celebrate!

Seth, Sarah and the kids said...

I am so jealous...I wish I could have been there!! I love you Janny Wan! I miss you a ton! I can hardly wait for the next reunion...just so I can see you.:)

Jori said...

Glad you had a great time! I want that book, it sounds wonderful. I am jealous too! I would have loved to hang out with you girls.

Jan said...

The book is great - it's one of those little tiny ones but it's full of great thoughts and feelings. I really love it.(and it came from someone that I love dearly too so that makes it even more precoius to me.)

Kristi said...

I am so glad you had such a great time! Who wouldn't want to be there to celebrate you? ;) I wish I could have been there (can I say that a couple more times?), but just so you know I heart you tremendously.