8.26.2007

Discipleship

"I am part of the fellowship of the unashamed. The die has been cast and I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made. I am a disciple of Jesus Christ. I won't look back, let up, slow down, or be still. My past is redeemed, my presence makes sense and my future is secure. I'm finished and done with low living, small planning, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tainted visions, worldly talking, cheap giving, and dwarfed goals. I no longer need pre-eminence, positions, promotions, plaudits or popularity. I don't have to be right, first, recognized, praised, regarded or rewarded.

I now live by faith, lean on His presence, walk with patience, am uplifted by prayer, and labor with power. My face is set, my gait is fast, my goal is Heaven. My road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions are few, my guide is reliable, my mission is clear. I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, divided or delayed. I will not flinch at the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of the adversary, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I won't give up, shut up, or let up until I have stayed up, stored up, and paid up for the cause of Christ. I must go till He comes, give till I drop, preach till all know, and work till He stops me, and when He returns for His own, He will have no problem recognizing me. My banner will be clear." (Henry B. Eyring)

I wish I could say that this quote describes me - but it doesn't. It's me as I would like to be and as I continue to strive to be. I'm really feeling low lately, with no real reason I can pinpoint and I need to read and re-read this to keep myself strong, because I want what Elder Eyring describes in the end: " . . . when He returns for His own, He will have no problem recognizing me." So I continue trying.

6 comments:

Natalie Scott said...

Eyring is amazing. He's a favorite of Ryan and me. He is always so sincere and feels what he says. Those low times are tough. I hope happier days are ahead for you...perhaps you need some treats dropped off at your door? We'd be happy to oblige :o)

Unknown said...

yeah, that doesn't come close to describing me, either. but you're closer than mine. i wish i knew how to help you feel happier, mama.

Kristi said...

Jan, I hope your days getbetter as well--Eyring truly is inspired and your post encouraged me to keep on keepin on.

hoLLy said...

Wow, what a powerful quotation

hoLLy said...

p.s. i hope you get to feeling happier soon. i get like that sometimes, really low, and then i'll be fine, then really low again. and i don't really know why either. i hate it! i have so much to be grateful for. i think i have some hormonal issues or something.

Jan said...

I think it's true - -we just have to push on through it and that's what I'm trying to do. I'm so blessed and I know it so well -- I just love you guys. Thank you so much for your help.