8.11.2007

The Spirit of Love

"You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have really lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love". (Henry Drummond)

That says to me that it's all about attitude. When we give tithes or fast offerings, we need to give with love and generosity. Moroni teaches that "it is counted evil unto a man, if he he shall pray and not with real intent of heart; yea and it profiteth him nothing, for God receiveth none such." (Moroni 7:9) So prayers too need to be offered in the right spirit.

Love works miracles. It really does. "Nothing is so much calculated to lead people to forsake sin as to take them by the hand and watch over them with tenderness. When persons manifest the least kindness and love to me, O what power it has over my mind . . ." (Joseph Smith)

Let's not just do things because we should. Let's consciously and purposefully do them with love and watch the changes not only in those we touch, but in ourselves.

8 comments:

Kristi said...

I love those quotes, espcially the Joseph Smith one resonates with me...great thoughts Jan.

Natalie said...

Jan, you are amazing! I have so enjoyed reading your blog. (I am Sarahs sister) Sorry for being nosy...I just cant help it!

Jan said...

You are so not nosy! Love having you read -- I always think no one ever does!!

Mel said...

i love the quotes! it's great to be uplifted. thanks for sharing.

hoLLy said...

that is such a sweet picture!

Unknown said...

great quotes. i love that picture, too. that's from my favorite artist, right?

Jan said...

Yup, that's your guy! Beautiful pics!

Jori said...

Seriously great post! That is such a problem I have. I will do things but with a lousy attitude. Gotta work on getting a spirit of love when I serve.