8.02.2007

Prayer (and faith without works is dead)

There was a little girl who told her mom that her brother was setting traps for birds. She didn' t like that at all. "He won't catch any birds in his traps, will he, Mom?" she asked.

The mother replied, "Maybe he will -- I"m not sure that he won't."
"I have prayed about it and asked Heavenly Father to protect the birds," the girl said. Then becoming more positive, she said, "I know he won't catch any because I prayed about it!"

The mother asked, "How can you be so positive?"

Then came this reply: "He won't catch any birds because after I said my prayers, I sent out and kicked those old traps all to pieces!" (Boyd K. Packer, Teach Ye Diligently, p. 215)

What a lesson. I loved reading what Pres. Monson had to say about prayer too -- that what we need to do is to pray, and then go to work. (Ensign, May 1989, p. 44)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

that is a great story! and i love that picture. how hilarious is that?

Jan said...

The picture is something Maya would do -- line up her friends and have prayers with them. I can just see it now!

hoLLy said...

that is so cute! such a funny story. it is so true. we can't just pray for something and always expect it to just happen. we have to do all we can first.

Kristi said...

I love that story--that's classic. Thanks for sharing it That's probably going to be in a talk some day from me... :)

Holly O. said...

Sometimes we have to take matters into our own hands. Cute story!

Fantastic Five said...

See, you have useful thoughts to put on your blog. That makes me so happy, the picture alone! Would love to recreate that!

Jori said...

That was a great story and darling picture!

Darleen said...

What a sweet story and darling picture. Where did you get that picture? Children are so sweet and smarties.