7.21.2007

Behaving like a Child of God

So for some unknown reason, today (when there are so many other things here for me to read -- see previous post!) I have been drawn to "Glimpses into the Life and Heart of Marjorie Pay Hinckley." I've read it often in the past and continue to return to it from time to time. I'm not sure why I am prompted to do that, especially today. But in this book is where I've spent the past hour and this is what I've learned.

As she addressed young adult women, she spoke of spirituality. She said "Sitting in church will not necessarily make you into a Christian anymore than sitting in a garage will make you into a car. I am talking about the kind of spirituality that makes you behave like a child of God. I am talking about the kind of spirituality that breathes reverence into every act and deed. I am talking about the spirituality that makes you loving and grateful and forgiving and patient and gentle and long-suffering . . . . I am talking about the kind of spirituality that compels you to get in touch with your Heavenly Father every single day of your life."

I am feeling empty today for no reason I can find. So I decided to try tonight to prepare to have a wonderful Sunday -- maybe that explains this spiritual pull I'm feeling. Sis. Hinckley always uplifts me and I love her clear explanation of this spirituality I need and want. This is spirituality that changes behavior. I think that's what I am seeking.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

that is great! i need to work on acting like a child of God, for sure. i've been spending a lot of time trying to figure out what is important and what is not. it's so hard to tell, sometimes...

hoLLy said...

I love Sister Hinckley. She was(is) such a special lady.

Jori said...

I love Sister Hinkley too. She is such an amazing example.

Kristi said...

Awesome post, as usual, Jan. I know I can count on your blog for some upliftment. How amazing in Sister Hinckley, honestly? I love that quote.

Rebecca said...

Great post Jan! I just love that book. Such good reminders. Thanks for that!

Darleen said...

It seems like you always know the best lds books out there. I want to now go out and purchase that book. Very inspiring.

Seth, Sarah and the kids said...

Thank you Jan. This is exactly what I needed to hear!:)

Unknown said...

where are you? oh yeah, babysitting for me while i go to pre-dawn dental appts. hey, but now that you're home, i'm ready for some new material! :)

Holly O. said...

I love that quote. Thanks Jan!