7.26.2007

More Rain!

I'm with Kristen -- I'm sick of rain! Today we are supposed to go check out Rock'N River, somewhere I've never visited but have heard lots about. They call it a 'family aquatic center' -- but in Maya's words: "You know, it's a kids' waterslide place, Gram!" At this point, it doesn't look hopeful. It was pouring when I looked out not long ago -- it's not pouring now but the sky looks like it will again soon.

I have a hard time being positive when everything is gray and gloomy-- I don' t think I have SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) but I sure do better when there's a little sun from time to time! I think attitude plays a big role in dealing with gloom and clouds though -- reminds me of a story I heard once about Mark Twain.

He and William Dean Howells (an author, editor and critic) were coming out of church one morning and it started to rain heavily. "Do you think it will stop?" asked Howells. "It always has," answered Twain.

That's the attitude I need! And as the illustration above (by Paula Becker) points out, you only get the rainbow after you get the rain. Good to remember when it's pouring (again), right?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

here here, I was so looking forward to the rockin river park. Haven't been yet and thought my kids would love it. Now it's another day indoors with 4 crazy kids! I don't have SAD either, but do get the occasional bad weather "blues" so to speak. you remind me so much of myself, Jan. Love your blog!

Jan said...

Yeah -- we did a WalMart trip instead and it just doesn't really cut it!!

Kristi said...

Ruh-roh. that knicks girl got me, too. I love that quote by Mark twain, and I wish I had that attitude also..."rain, rain go away" tends to be the theme at our house.

hoLLy said...

i hate it when it rains a lot! we had it for a couple of weeks straight up here and i got major cabin fever stuck at home all day. luckily its toned down this week, but i've heard we're supposed to get more soon...noooooooo!

Jill said...

Come to Denver! 300 days of sunshine a year--you can't beat that!

Unknown said...

rain rain, go away. i don't mind some, but it's too much.