7.30.2007

I am Sure it is a Blessing Too

Saturday we noticed that our trusty thermostat was stuck on 80 instead of on 77 which is where it stays during the summer. So I kept an eye on it and it never changed, except to go up which is clearly weird as (like I said!) the AC is supposed to be keeping it at 77 -- just like it always has! We have 2 units, one for the upstairs and one for the downstairs so I went up to check on the upstairs temp and it was just as it should be. Not so with the downstairs one. Mark fooled around with it some and eventually decided he had no idea what was up. It kept running and running but not blowing cooler air so we finally switched it off, so as to not burn out the motor. (like we know anything, but it made sense to us!)


So for the past 2 nights, we have had no downstairs AC. However, with all the rain and clouds we've had, along with keeping the blinds closed, it hasn't been bad. We have ceiling fans in every room which makes a big difference but we know we will need the AC once we get our normal Austin summer weather back (maybe we won't -- we're beginning to wonder!). Today Mark is calling someone to come check out the AC unit -- and I realized this morning that this is something that in all the years of home ownership, we have never had to deal with. So it will be an interesting and probably expensive lesson. Can't say I'm looking forward to that part of it -- but I will enjoy my cool air again.

So Natalie's reminder about the comment made in the prayer yesterday about the rain being a blessing certainly struck a chord with Mark and I. We figured we wouldn't sleep with it being hot, but it hasn't been a big problem. I guess I too am sure the rain and clouds have been a blessing.

5 comments:

tiburon said...

We had the same thing happen to our AC a few weeks ago! We cut the master power and let it cool off for a bit and turned it back on and it seemed to do the trick. I don't know what I would have done if it stopped working altogether! At least it isn't as hot!

I hope it is an easy fix for you :)

Jill said...

That same thing happened to us and we have yet to get it fixed and we're not having the stormy weather here! Let's just say that it's given me a GREAT excuse to go to Target, Old Navy, and other places that have air conditioning!

Jan said...

The guy was just here -- apparently a wire inside a hose (clearly I know nothing) apparently heated up and melted the hose, causing all the freon to run out on the ground. So they need to fix the hose, refill and recharge the freon -- and we're looking at around $550. I'm not so happy about that but it has to be done. Sigh.

Kristi said...

Jan--that stinks!!! I'm sorry your AC is broken! :( But hopefully they'll get it fixed asap. I'm glad it was cooler outside so you didn't roast!

Unknown said...

ah, see! i'll let bro. monreal know! :) hope it's all fixed up by now and you're nice and cool.