7.23.2007

More Food for Thought

Shortly before the death of Henry David Thoreau, a pious aunt visited him and asked, "Have you made your peace with God, Henry?"
"I don't know that we ever quarreled," he replied

I haven't quarreled with Him either -- but I need to make sure I have spent enough time with Him that when I arrive back in His presence, He will smile because He knows me. I think this little 4 line poem by John Richard Moreland (a Christian poet writing in the first half of the 20th century) says it very well:

Prayer is not artful monolague
Of voice uplifted from the sod;
It is love's tender dialogue
Between the soul and God.

That's how we get to know Him. We spend time with Him, we talk with Him, we share our victories and our losses, our joys and our pains with Him - -and it is a loving conversation. It is protection as well -- William Cowper winds up my train of thought with this:

Satan trembles when he sees
The least of saints upon his knees.
I have to say I like that image -- I like the thought of Satan trembling because of me. And if I can do it by becoming closer to God, I call that a win-win situation.

5 comments:

Kristi said...

More great thoughts, Jan! I like that image as well, and pray that I will make my peace with the Lord.

Heather said...

Those are some really great thoughts. Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to pray a little bit harder.

hoLLy said...

What a strange aunt! I love his response. Very clever.

Jori said...

I love the idea of sharing our victories and our losses. Fabulous as always Jan!

Hayley said...

i love that people can say "i don't know that we've quarreled." i'm not sure i'll be able to say that. but hopefully when the time comes, i'll have been able to maintain (or improve) where i'm at now. ha!