7.13.2007

White Chocolate Key Lime Calypso Bars

Yesterday as I was browsing around on the Pillsbury website, I happened upon a recipe whose title (above) really intrigued me. Now you have to know that I'm so not a cook -- I can cook because I can read, but I have never really enjoyed it and it's certainly never been my thing. I do like food, however (way too much!) so my eyes dropped to the ingredients list for this recipe -- and YUMMM!! It sounded good -- so good, that when I paid my visit to the grocery store, I went with the recipe in my hand so I could buy the ingredients I needed and I baked it up last night. I thought it was wonderful -- Mark not so much because he is anti anything that contains white chocolate. He thinks it has to be brown chocolate for it to count for anything and doesn't wish to waste his calories on white chocolate. Which is fine with me -- then I can have more! Here's the recipe:


White Chocolate Key Lime Calypso Bars
1 roll Pillsbury refrigerated sugar cookies
1 c. chopped pistachios
1 c. coconut
1 1/2 c. white chocolate chunks or chips
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
1/2 c. key lime juice, fresh lime juice or thawed frozen limeade concentrate
3 egg yolks
1 tsp. oil

Heat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 pan. In a large bowl, break up cookie dough. Knead in pistachios and coconut till well blended. With floured fingers, press the dough mixture evenly in the bottom of the pan to form a crust. Sprinkle 1 c. of the white chocolate chips/chunks over the dough and press lightly into the dough. Bake 14-16 minutes or until golden brown.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat the sweetened condensed milk, lime juice and egg yolks till well blended. When the crust is done, remove from oven and pour the milk mixture evenly over the hot crust. Return it to the oven and bake 20 - 25 minutes longer or until filling is set.

In a small microwaveable bowl, place the remaining 1/2 c. white chocolate and the oil. Microwave on high for 45 seconds. Stir until smooth; if necessary, microwave 15 seconds longer. Drizzle over warm bars. Cool 1 hour. Refrigerate until chilled, about 1 more hour. Cut into bars and serve. Store in refrigerator.

I like these a lot and this recipe (for me anyway) is a keeper.

2 comments:

Jori said...

Those look devine! I love white chocolate!!

Jan said...

They are really good. I just ate one -- I like the pistachio in the crust, which makes it a little different I think. I'm a big white chocolate fan too!