7.23.2007

Sheep or Goat?

I was doing some reading and ran across something John Taylor said. First it cracked me up and then it hit home. He said this: "Jesus said, my sheep hear my voice and they know me, and a stranger they will not follow, because they know not the voice of a stranger. And why do not the millions of the inhabitants of the earth embrace the Gospel? Because they are not sheep; that is all. And if the goats kick up and cut a few antics, you need not be astonished. It is the nature of goats, is it not?" (Journal of Discourses 22:305)

For me, that means that we need to love and accept everyone. They may not be doing what we think they should or what we wish they would -- but we need not be surprised or judgmental. What we do need to do is to make sure they know they are important, valued and loved. Sometimes that's hard to do -- especially when you're more a goat than a sheep yourself.

I'm thankful for a Savior who, despite my goat-like tendencies, is willing to wait, watch, call and lead me back to Him and He will do it as quickly and as lovingly as I will allow.

6 comments:

Jori said...

Can I just tell you how happy I am you started blogging?? You come up with the some gems! Love this phrase "but we need not be surprised or judgmental" great insights!

Unknown said...

there you are! thank goodness. that is a good one. i'm definitely a goat. i proved it by eating my pajamas this morning.

Seth, Sarah and the kids said...

I think I might be a donkey...what does that mean?
Seriously, you are the best! Thank you , again for lifting me when I need it!!

Jan said...

You guys make me feel so good. But really what comes out is probably what helps me more than anyone else!

Kristi said...

Love this. Always a good reminder to not judge and I am one who needs to hear it. Thanks :)

hoLLy said...

Great quote and such a beautiful picture too. I love reading your blog!