7.10.2007

Hold 'em, Hug 'em and Kiss 'em!

I was browsing my pics from our beach trip in May and was reminded of what a gift it was to have all 4 of our precious little ones together. It was wonderful to watch them play together and see how they related to one another. They're definitely individuals, but also are clearly family and that's so important to me. I wish that we could see more of Ben and Daniel -- Dallas isn't that far but it's far enough to make get-togethers kind of infrequent.

In thinking about this, I was reminded of a poem I loved when my own kids were little:

Two and a Half
Hold him a little longer,
Rock him a little more.
Tell him another story
(You've only told him four!)

Let him sleep on your shoulder,
Rejoice in his happy smile.
He is only two and a half
For such a little while.

(Author Unknown)

You can substitute 'her' or 'them' for any of the 'hims' and really feel this about your own children and in my case, grandchildren. They are all so precious and they grow up so fast -- enjoy their childhood and their 'littleness' -- it won't last. (I guess the up-side of that is that then you get grandkids! What a payoff!)

4 comments:

Nat Lud said...

That poem is so sweet! And so very true. I can't believe I already have a 5-year-old! Time goes so fast and it is so easy to let the small things pass by. Thanks for sharing this sweet poem and reminding me to slow down and enjoy my children a little more! Your blog is so awesome!

Unknown said...

that is such a cute poem! good reminder for me tonight, too. i was only too eager to get the kiddos in bed. that's going in the quote book.

Kristi said...

That picture is so cute of you guys and the kids! I love it. Great poem, too.

hoLLy said...

Such a sweet poem. Everyone is in such a rush for their kids to crawl, to walk, to talk, etc. We need to cherish every moment in their little lives because they grow up so fast. Aubrey is starting kindergarten this year and I can't believe my baby is this old already!