7.17.2007

John Rutter

I was listening to a CD in the car today when it occurred to me how thankful I am for my all-time favorite composer, John Rutter. He's actually someone who is still alive (unlike Mozart, Bach and Beethoven!) and currently composing. He is an amazingly talented man -- not only does he compose and arrange, he writes his own lyrics, he directs an elite choir (Cambridge Singers) and orchestras, and also does a lot of guest-conducting and lecturing all over Europe, Scandanavia and North America.

He is overflowing with musical talent and has spiritual gifts as well. I am convinced that he writes under the direction of the spirit -- when you hear his music and words together, you can't doubt it. I have always dreamed of accompanying a choir (which I love to do more than anything -- accompany) under his direction and of course, didn't figure it would ever happen. And it hasn't -- but right after we left Nashville, I got word from a good friend who is deeply involved in school music there that John Rutter was coming to Nashville and would be rehearsing with a choir and would need an accompanist!! ARGHHH!! There was no way I could make the trip back but she probably could have arranged for me to work with him. Sigh. I had dreams about that for months after!

He writes glorious Christmas music, and you may recognize his "Angel's Carol" or "Candlelight Carol" but there are many more that I can't get enough of at Christmas time. Anyhow -- one of my favorite pieces of his music is called "Look at the World". It was written in celebration of the 70th anniversary of the Council for the Protection of Rural England and is part of his "Mass of the Children." It's a piece for for children's choir and mixed choir (of course having the children's choir really speaks to me) and has a truly wonderful message about gratutide for all the things we have been given.

My favorite verse is this one:
"Ev'ry good gift, all that we need and cherish
Comes from the Lord, in token of His love;
We are His hands, stewards of all His bounty;
His is the earth and His the heav'ns above.

Praise to Thee, O Lord, for all creation,
Give us thankful hearts, that we may see;
All the gifts we share and ev'ry blessing,
All things come of Thee."

When I hear these words presented with a beautiful melody and harmony, the spirit comes and I (once again) am grateful for music, for it's power and the way it can take me as close to celestial happiness as I think I will get in this life. I'm grateful for the many gifted composers and musicians who share their talents and allow me to be blessed by the beauty they create.

4 comments:

Kristi said...

Awesome! I have never heard his music (but my musical knowledge is limited!), but I will definitely look into his music. I'm so sad you missed your chance, but hopefully one day soon you will get another :) You have quite the gift for music.

Jori said...

I haven't heard of him either. I am excited to check him out. I love that you appreciate music so much, and have a talent for it. That is such a special gift!

Unknown said...

john rutter is amazing. he really does have SUCH a talent. love his stuff.

Anonymous said...

People should read this.