7.12.2007

More Holiness Give Me

I went VTing this morning and I can say that this month, I loved the lesson. The official title is "Become an instrument in the hands of God by practicing holiness." Well, as I studied the lesson, I had a flood of thoughts,but what came to my mind immediately was the hymn, "More Holiness Give Me."

The lesson first defines exactly what 'holiness' means (according to Pres. Faust it's the "strength of the soul" which can be safeguarded by being in holy places. He includes the temple as well as our homes as holy places) and then it goes on to the 'how'. That's good for me - -I always want to know HOW I'm supposed to do something. I"m perfectly willing to do it, but I want to be told how to accomplish it.

Sis. Kathleen Hughes, former member of the General RS Presidency says that all of us want to be 'cherished, watched over, comforted and instructed in the things of God.' And we do. But we need to look at it slightly differently than you might expect -- not being the receiver of those acts, but to learn to be someone who can actually practice that holiness every day and be someone in tune enough to 'cherish, watch over, comfort and instruct' those who cross our path each day. She finishes by saying "To become like Jesus Christ, the Prophet Joseph taught, 'you must enlarge your souls toward others'. "

I loved that and it reminded me of several emails that certain sweet, thoughtful people have sent me this week, letting me know that they think I'm doing OK in my calling. I am so grateful for the time they took to do that, and I consider that a 'holiness' on their parts. Because of their thoughtfulness and awareness of me, I thought to let someone else know how much I appreciated their contributions to our ward. I know how much my messages meant to me, and maybe mine did the same for someone else. It really does spread, this feeling of holiness.

As I continued to consider holiness, I went back to the hymn (pg. 131 in the LDS Hymnbook) which is really a prayer, a plea for more holiness. I think the third verse expresses the deepest longings of my heart, speaking very clearly my desire to be more holy.

"More purity give me, more strength to o'ercome,
More freedom from earth-stains, more longing for home.
More fit for the kingdom, more used would I be,
More blessed and holy -- more, Savior, like thee."

(Text & music by Philip Paul Bliss)

That's what I want -- to be more fit for the kingdom, more used in His work, more blessed, more holy, and more like the Savior. And I will keep trying.

3 comments:

Jori said...

Wow, you have really been hitting on something I need to hear everyday! I love the part of your post that said "be someone in tune enough to 'cherish, watch over, comfort and instruct' those who cross our path each day" That is perfect and good timing. I have to interact with somebody, that it's hard for me to be around. I am going to focus on caring and comforting this person. Thank you so much.

PS-I love "More Holiness Give Me" It's a great hymn.

hoLLy said...

I might just memorize your exact post for my VT lesson:) i guess that would be visiting teaching plagiarism though...

Jan said...

Hey, Holly, use any or all of it that you want. I don't care! I just really enjoyed this lesson and for some reason, it 'spoke' to me this time around!