7.19.2007

Perspective

I was feeling a bit cranky recently and was considering my mood, as there was no real reason for it. Eventually I was reminded of a story I'd heard Billy Graham tell long ago . He told of a friend who, during the Depression lost his job, his fortune, his wife and his home. But he held onto his faith, which was all he had left. One day he stopped to watch some men doing some stonework on a huge church. One of them was chiseling at a triangular piece of stone. The man asked what the worker was going to do with it and the workman replied "See that little opening way up there near the spire? Well, I'm shaping this down here so it will fit in up there." The man's eyes filled with tears as he walked away for he heard God's voice in the voice of the workman, explaining the ordeal through which he was passing. "I'm shaping you down here, so you'll fit in up there."

I can't say I am dealing with anything comparable to losing a job, a fortune (never had one!), a spouse and a home. I'm very blessed -- so it was good for me to recall this story and this outlook when all I'm feeling is a bit cranky! I am blessed and I know it and I"m thankful.

4 comments:

Jori said...

Love the San Diego temple picture!! Great story. I am going to save that. One of my brothers is facing a possible divorce and it is just ripping us all up. This post really makes me feel better.

Kristi said...

Wow. What a great analogy. I love that story. Thanks for sharing, Jan.

Unknown said...

that is a great story! we're definitely all being shaped in lots of ways.

hoLLy said...

Thats such a great story! I get cranky a lot so I really need these stories and quotes:)